Tuesday 28 June 2011

Recipe: Bolognaisse (Pasta Sauce) (originally posted 11/02/09 on Alternating Kitchen Witch)

  • one or two tins of chopped tomatoes (dependent on how much you need to make...one tin is on par for me)
  • one chopped onion
  • beef mince (I think the packs I get from the butchers is about 500g, but, you can always do more or less, dependent on your needs).
  • vegetables...this depends on you and your tastes. Sliced mushrooms, sweetcorn, courgette (zucchini), carrots, the list is endless. I've been known for dumping in frozen mixed veg, just to get veg into those that don't normally eat it.
  • Worcestershire Sauce (if you are wheat free, do not buy shop brands. Lea and Perrins is ok, as it uses barley malt. If you are full gluten free, coeliac, there are gluten free makes in the Free From sections)
  • Herbs: I use what I have on hand. Mixed herbs, Italian Herbs, or, a bit of sage, oregano, and/or rosemary.
  • Garlic: I rarely use whole garlic, because I can't be asked. You can, if you want. I tend to use the puree in the tube, or, I get a jar of it from the Chinese shop.
  • Brown Sugar: This is optional, and, for me, mood-dependent.

Heat up your pan (I prefer to use a wok, but, a good-sized frying pan is good, too, or, a big saucepan). Drizzle in 2 or 3 tablespoons of sunflower or olive oil. One the oil heats up, lightly saute your onion (and, if you're using fresh garlic, that, too). Add in your mushrooms, saute for a couple of minutes, then, add in the rest of your veg (If you're using peppers, I would add them with the onion). After they saute for a little bit, add your beef mince, and brown. When the meat is brown, add in your herbs...this is one of my 'that looks about right' amounts, so, maybe, about the size of a 5 year old's handful. Give everything a good stir. Add your tinned tomatoes and garlic puree, and, give a good stir, again. If you're using the optional brown sugar, add this, too, again, about the size of a 5 year old's handful, or so. Worcestershire Sauce at this time, too...a few good shakes.

Turn the heat down, and let simmer for a minimum of 20 minutes. The longer it simmers, the better it is, as the flavours infuse.

Serve on pasta of choice (there is wheat and gluten free pastas in the Free From sections of good sized shops), or rice or jacket (baked) potato.

Other Modifications you can do:

This can easily be turned into a chili. Just add kidney beans, pepper, and chili powder, and/or other spices of choice. I tend to use mild chili powder. Either way, be careful with how much you put in. My friend, Illustratedmum, has made the suggestion that if you over do it, add another tin of tomatoes.

Brightest Blessings,
Mel

No comments: