Tuesday 5 July 2011

Corn Bread Recipe #1

I actually have a couple of different recipes, but at the moment one of them is missing. It's actually the one I prefer, but I'll still post this alternative one that I've used as well (and still really like). I make it gluten free, and this is the recipe that I use if I've run out of milk, so it's dairy free already.  I find it a touch sharper in taste than the version that I use milk in, and a touch crumblier, but it's still really lovely, especially hot out of the oven with margarine or butter melting on it. I'm actually contemplating trying it with a smear of apple butter, the next time that I make a batch of it.

Ingredients:
1 cup cornmeal (I have found this at Sainsbury's, in with the international foods, i.e. the Asian foods, in a fairly good sized bag)
1 cup flour (normal flour can be used, as well. I use Dove's Farm Gluten and Wheat Free plain flour)
1/4 cup sugar (I'm sure that Splenda could be used)
5 tsp baking powder (I use a gluten free version)
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup plus 2 tbsp water
1/3 cup oil

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 425F/220C/Gas Mark 7.
Combine all of the ingredients and beat well.
Bake in a greased and floured 8-inch cake pan for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. A normal pan can be used, but I use either a round or square silicon pan, so I can just pop it straight out.

Mel

No comments: